Matrimony.com's Murugavel Janakiraman on never underestimating the role of luck and serendipity in entrepreneurship
Matrimony.com Pvt Ltd (formerly Consim Info Pvt Ltd), which owns a string of matrimony-related consumer internet properties, including BharatMatrimony.com, EliteMatrimony.com and CommunityMatrimony.com, as well as online real estate site Indiaproperty.com, is now coming up with a 'Popular' matrimony site that will target the bottom-of-the-pyramid population of the country. According to Murugavel Janakiraman, founder and CEO, Matrimony.com, over 10 million people are getting married every year, and the company has not even catered to 10 per cent of this market; hence the potential to grow is huge.
In addition, if people spend Rs 8 lakh on a marriage, they spend only about 1 per cent of that amount on a matrimonial service. The company wants to get the remaining 99 per cent as well; hence it has been focusing on wedding-related services, which has a lot of scope for growth going forward.
In an exclusive interview with Techcircle.in, Janakiraman talks about the company, its IPO plans, launching a new matrimony site, and more.